This was the last AGM for the retiring WPCA’s and Western Cape Cricket’s Chief Executive Officer Professor Andre Odendaal.
Looking at 2013/14 successes, WPCA President Beresford Williams said, “The 2013/14 season was a very good one on and off the field. This season Cricket South Africa rated Western Province as the top affiliate in cricket activities and performances, and this was a season which once again saw us produce numerous national players.”
Omar Sonday was voted new treasurer for WPCA following the resignation of former treasurer Gerhardi Odendaal earlier this year. The rest of the executive committee will see another year and new elections will take place at the 2015 AGM.
WPCA adopted a New Constitution which aligns itself to the Cricket South Africa (CSA) Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI). A resolution was tabled which incorporated that WPCA have noted the spirit and the intent of the CSA Transformation Indaba that set as one of its objectives the alignment of Affiliate MOI’s with that of CSA, duly recognised this imperative. Western Province Cricket Association further recognises that the transition from its incumbent constitution required areas of fundamental changes. This required a process of full consultation with its members.
Therefore, in presenting the amended constitution that captures the issues raised during the consultative process, now propose this constitution for adoption, having taken into account that:
- The WPCA Constitution (“the New Constitution”) was duly canvassed and the principles were accepted in its draft format.
- The New Constitution shall be adopted and come into effect from the date of WPCA’s 2014 AGM.
- The New Constitution may be further amended to fully capture the spirit and intent of the CSA Indaba and to consolidate the WPCA’s internal structures. In the interest of continuity and institutional knowledge, it is deemed necessary that the incumbent office bearers continue to serve until the date of the 2015 AGM. In this respect, the composition and numbers of the Board will be consistent with the existing Executive until it is changed at the 2015 AGM.
- In keeping with the intent of the new constitution, the current executive is mandated to forthwith co-opt at least three independent members (“directors”) to serve between the AGM’s of 2014 and 2015.
- Thereafter, all positions would become vacant or filled through a process of staggering of election of the Board of Directors.
- Western Province Cricket Association has ensured that all matters/provisions relevant in the CSA MOI have been imported into the Western Province Cricket Association new constitution.
- All further structures required for the implementation of the New Constitution shall be put in place between the 2014 and 2015 AGM’s.