In the 12 months between February 2011 and February 2012, the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras and the amateur teams of Western Province and Boland held an unprecedented ‘Grand Slam’ of eight out of eight trophies and tournaments in South African domestic cricket.
The following trophies and tournaments were won in those 12 months:
- Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras in Supersport Series (February 2011)
- Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras in Standard Bank Pro20 (March 2011)
- Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras in CSA One Day Cup (December 2011)
- Western Province winners of the CSA Three Day Challenge
- Western Province winners of the CSA One Day Challenge
- Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras Cubs winners of the annual Cricket South Africa Cubs Week held in Stellenbosch
- Boland and WP schools chosen for feature match at Coca Cola Khaya Majola Week held in Cape Town. (No official winner)
- Paarl Boys high winner of the Cricket South Africa T20 competition for schools.
Champions in eight formats in 12 months – this is an achievement of which we can be justifiably proud. In addition the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras also once again participated in the Champions League in India in October 2011 and they were also awarded the Team of the Year Award at the Western Cape Government’s annual sports award ceremony earlier this year.
No less than ten Cape Cobras players were called up for the national team in the 2011/12 season. Three of them set world records. Vernon Philander became the quickest bowler since 1886 to reach fifty test wickets in a sensational entry to test cricket. Richard Levi scored the fastest 20/20 hundred against New Zealand (and also broke the record for the fastest SA One-Day Domestic hundred). Dane Vilas bettered the great Gilchrist and Marsh’s achievements as a wicket-keeper in scoring 186 runs and taking ten dismissals in the same match.